Festive, colourful and flavour that packs a punch.
4.5 cups water
1 tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
3/4 cup arborio rice
2 cups chopped kale
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
8 tsp vegetable broth concentrate
1/4 cup Vegan shredded cheese (optional - I use Daiya shreds)
12-15 grape tomatoes
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp coconut or grape-seed oil
1 tbsp balsamic
1/3 cup walnuts
1. In a medium pot, mix veggie concentrate into water and stir over low heat.
2. Chop shallots, kale and mince garlic. Slice tomatoes into halves or quarters.
3. Heat a non-stick pan and add butter and shallots.
4. When the butter has melted, stir in garlic, fennel seeds and vinegar. Stir.
5. Add in rice and stir.
6. For the next 25 minutes, stir one cup of warm broth into the pan, let broth absorb and add another cup of warm broth. Continue until the pot of broth is empty.
7. While the rice is cooking, begin to roast your tomatoes. Add coconut oil and balsamic to roasting pan (or baking pan), tomatoes and salt/pepper. Shake pan to coat tomatoes in mixture. Bake tomatoes at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
8. When the rice is finished and all the broth has been absorbed, add in optional vegan cheese. Stir until all the cheese has melted.
9. Add chopped kale, and gently stir in tomatoes (and their juices).
10. Season with salt & pepper, and top with walnuts.
Serves 2-3 people.
Want more protein? Add some cooked lentils or chickpeas to make it a complete meal! (Serves 4 people).