Vfit Vegan Challenge
1 cup brown rice
6 cups (1 tetra pack) organic vegetable stock
1-2 cups coconut milk (canned if you like a creamy soup)
1 large butternut squash - peeled/cubed
3 medium carrots - peeled/shredded
1 large sweet potato - peeled/shredded
1 large onion of choice - chopped
2 cloves of garlic - chopped
2/3 cups red lentils (washed)
1 tbsp Earth Balance Organic (vegan "butter" - optional)
3-5 celery stalks (optional)
Hot sauce (optional)
- Cook rice in 2 cups of water
- In large pot add full tetra pack of organic veggie broth.
- Cut butternut squash in half and discard the seeds and goop. Peel outside and discard the skin. Chop into little cubes and throw into broth.
- Peel and shred sweet potato
- Peel carrots and chop into smaller bits and add to the pot.
- Chop onion and garlic and add as well.
- Let all the contents simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain cooked vegetables and put into a blender/food processor. Add some of the liquid to the blender for an easier puree.
- Add cooked rice and rinsed lentils
- Turn stove to low and cook until lentils are soft
- Add 1-2 cups of soup to a bowl, sprinkle black pepper and cilantro.