Vfit DetoxWeek 3
Wild Rice Casserole
1 cup wild rice medley, cooked according to package directions
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 medium sized butternut squash
1 bunch of baby spinach leaves
1 cup organic veggie broth
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley
1 teaspoon salt freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil to coat your casserole dish with
- Cook the rice according to package directions, minus about 10-15 minutes (it will continue to cook in the oven)
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds using a large spoon. Pour broth into a roasting pan and place squash face down. Roast at 400° F for about 20 minutes. You will want it to be a bit firm so you can cut it into cubes. Don't overcook!
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, brown the turkey over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, sauté 3 more minutes. Roughly chop spinach and add to turkey mixture. Cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
-Remove skin from squash and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Put rice, turkey mixture, squash, herbs and spices into a prepared casserole dish.
- Bake at 400° F for 30 minutes.